Narayanhiti Palace Museum is the former royal palace in the centre of the Nepalese capital, Kathmandu. It is the palace which long served as a primary residence for the country's monarchs. The present palace was built in 1963 by Kind Mahendra after he ordered to demolish the old palace in 1958. After the 2006 revolution toppled the monarchy, the newly elected assembly declared Nepal as a republic country and King Gyanendra was forced to vacate the palace within 15 days. The royal palace is now turned into a public museum. The crown jewels are considered to be among the most precious and valuable objects in Nepal.
Narayanhiti, in Narayanhiti Palace, is made up of two words ‘narayan’ and ‘hiti’. 'Naryan' is a form of Hindu god "Lord Vishnu” whose temple is located opposite to the palace and ‘hiti’ means “water spout” which is also located to the east of main entrance in the precincts of the palace.
The main building was used largely for visiting heads of state and ceremonies. Members of the royal family had private accommodation in the palace grounds: these buildings are not open to the public. The museum show cases the life style of royals, and houses many precious antiques and pieces of history. After visiting the main building, the tour continues in the out building in which the last members of the Shah family were murdered on 1st June, 2001.